Random Photo Screensaver 3 (archived)
The previous version of Random Photo Screensaver RPS 3 is still available for download. It is recommended to upgrade to RPS 4, but as not all features are supported on Windows XP, you can download the old version from this page. No new features are added to RPS 3 and no new v3 releases are anticipated.
Animated photo slideshow screensaver: Random Photo Screensaver 3.4
With an increasing number of people owning digital cameras there are an even bigger number of photos stuck on computers without ever being seen. abScreensavers.com's Random Photo Screensaver is here to help: it dusts off those pictures and puts them back on your screen!
New in version 3.4
Version 3.4 finally introduces RAW file support.
- Display RAW files, including .bay .bmq .cr2 .crw .cs1 .dc2 .dcr .fff .k25 .kdc .mos .mrw .nef .orf .pef .raf .rdc .srf .x3f from Canon and other DSLR cameras supported by ufraw/dcraw.
- Show same image on each monitor Request to add option that shows same image on each monitor in multi monitor setup.
- Sort files alphabetically In sequential mode files are currently ordered as they appear on the harddisk.
- Monitor folder for new files Add new files whilst screensaver is running (Sponsored feature!).
- Delete files Shortcut to delete files from within the screensaver. Deleted files are moved into the Windows recycling bin so accidentally deleted files can easily be recovered.
- Rotate image left/right and an option to save them.
RPS 3 has been completely rewritten providing better performance under the hood and some exciting new features:
- Transition effects: 10+ different animated transition effects, making the screen saver more entertaining to look at.
- Dual screen / Multiple monitor support: multi monitor support is provided making full use of all dual monitor, triple monitor and larger setups. See the multiple monitors screensaver page for more information.
- Wallpaper: In addition to changing your computers wallpaper daily or after each screen saver run it is now possibly to set your wallpaper from the current picture shown in the screensaver. You can also specify a separate folder used for wallpapers.
- Random or sequential display: In version 3 you can still display all images randomly, but there now is also an option to display your images sequentially in the order they appear on your computer. The screensaver remembers the last image shown and continues where it left off the next time it starts.
- Quicker startup and better performance Even with a large number (20,000+) of images, the Random Photo Screensaver still displays the first image within seconds. The rewrite also resulted in a significant reduction of the processing power required. It is also possible to specify multiple image directories.
- More and better supported file types: jpeg, gif, bmp and png. With raw support enabled this now also includes: .bay .bmq .cr2 .crw .cs1 .dc2 .dcr .fff .k25 .kdc .mos .mrw .nef .orf .pef .raf .rdc .srf and .x3f files.
The main features of the old screen saver are still here:
- Plug-n-play installation The screen saver is easy to install and the default settings make it ready for a slideshow of your own photo's straight after installation.
In the off change you don't like it, it comes with a full uninstaller too.
- Did you miss a photo? You can browse back and forwards using the arrow keys. You can pause and restart the slideshow using a simple keyboard shortcut.
- Photograph names The name of the photograph can be displayed in the corner of the screen.
- Calendar View a calendar of the current month and/or coming and previous months. You can freely rearrange the calendars and you can set two levels of transparency for a smooth look. The simple hit of a button will high-light, hide or low-light your calendars.
- Clock View a clock with the current time or screensaver running time to tell how long you've been away from your computer. The clock can also be disabled.
- Hidden photos It doesn't show any photographs from folders or images which are hidden using the system attribute. Of course you can disable this feature if you prefer.
- Exclude subfolders You can exclude any subfolders such as thumbnail folders.
- Fit to full screen Default all photos are displayed full screen. This can be disabled this for small photos.
- Full control / completely configurable Customize most of the settings exactly to your liking.
I should warn you using this screensaver you run the risk of staring at your screen waiting for the screen saver to kick in!
Don't just take my word for it. Here is what one of the users of the Random Photo Screensaver has to say:
Thank YOU - I have spent a lot of time trying to find a decent screensaver. I have tens of thousands of digital photos that I want to run on various computers and yours is the only one that is truly random and allows me to pick the ones I want nicely. And, it actually works! Which is more than I can say for most of the other ones I have tried.
Actually about a year ago my computer geek son found your program for me.
I started using it to show my two months in Italy, on my kitchen computer.
On my office computer I have photos going back to 1988 ( my son digitized the pre digital camera ones). It's GREAT. So, thank you.
Dave Blench, Alberta, Canada
I LOVE this program! I've had it for several years and everyone in my family comments how it brings a smile to their face when they walk past my computer and see a random picture that reminds them of good times we've shared and places we've been, people we've met.
The random factor is a key part of the surprise - never know what will be there: a beautiful Australian sunrise (we live in the US) or a close-up of my son's nostril!
Timothy Roach, Massachusetts, United States
It continues to be the best way by far to enjoy our large and growing collection of family photos. We sometimes have to turn it off because it's hard to have a conversation when everyone keeps glancing at the screen when a photo pops up that is particularly engaging. That turns out to happen quite often and people end up jumping to the keyboard to pause or go back. Great fun.
Ben Domenico, Colorado, United States
New in version 3.3
Version 3.3 finally introduces metadata (EXIF/IPTC/XMP) features requested by users and on my own to do list for a long time. New in version 3.3 are:
- Automatic image rotation depending on EXIF rotation settings.
- Quick metadata feature showing customisable EXIF/IPTC/XMP entries. You can of course switch this feature off in the settings if you want to.
- Show customisable quick EXIF/IPTC/XMP information.
- Show fully detailed EXIF/IPTC/XMP settings. Against fully customisable, including layout and position.
- Fixed multi monitor bug where desktop did not extended to negative coordinates.
- Exclude files using regular expressions.
- Locate current images in Windows Explorer shortcut.
- Last but not least Random Photo Screensaver is now open source.
New in version 3.2
Version 3.2 introduces additional requests from users:
- Option to move images from monitor to monitor in sequence.
- Start / stop shortcut key to control the slideshow.
- One or more calendars can be displayed on the screen. The calendar can show the current, previous and coming months. Each calendar can easily be positioned and resized to your liking.
All Windows Versions (8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000)
The Random Photo Screensaver is tested in Windows XP and Windows Vista. Although it works on Windows 7 and Windows 8 & 8.1 the latest Random Photo Screensaver 4 is recommended.
If you're planning to run RPS on a 64-bit system and want to use RAW support ensure you update UFRaw after installation.
RAW file support
RAW files of the following camera brands are supported: Adobe Digital Negative (DNG), AgfaPhoto, Apple QuickTake, AVT, Canon PowerShot, Canon EOS, Casio QV/EX/Exlim Pro, Contax N Digital, Creative PC-CAM, Epson, Foculus, Fuji FinePix, Hasselblad, Imacon Ixpress, ISG, Kodak, Konica, Leaf, Leica, Logitech Fotoman, Mamiya, Micron, Minolta DiMAGE/Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum, Motorola, Nikon D/E/Coolpix, Nokia, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax *ist/K/Optio, Phase One, Pixelink, Polaroid, Rollei, RoverShot, Samsung, Sarnoff, Sigma, Sinar, SMaL Ultra-Pocket, Sony DSC/DSLR/NEX/SLT. For a detailed list of supported cameras and types see the dcraw page.
You can subscribe to the Random Photo Screensaver Newsletter if you would like to be updated of new releases.
or download the latest release: